WordPress – Updates

Needed to Update the version of WordPress to 4.6. Well technically didn’t need to, but thought it best to. There are two routes to updating:

  1. Online using ftp to download the updates
  2. Offline using http GET to download the compressed file to disc and then manually updating at you leisure.

Option 1 seemed good – so gave it a try. Everything start OK then failed with the message ‘Could not create directory’. Slightly worrying as I thought I had full permissions across the WordPress directory. Also a bit annoying that it didn’t say which directory it could not create, however as always Google is your friend. Several web pages on this topic. The one that I found most useful was how-to-solve-wordpress-could-not-create-directory. From the web page about the only issue I could see was that root was the group owner of the directory that owned the WordPress directory. Changed that,¬†retried, and everything went like clockwork. Did have a slight pause for concern when it seemed to be stuck on step six or seven (cannot remember which one), but it was just a case of waiting and letting it run

Updated to 4.7.3. With the ownership problem solved as above the whole process was straightforward. It does pause for a while on step 6 ‘Disabling Maintenance mode…’ which is when it is actually doing the installation, as this is the last step, but wait just a few minutes, then up comes the shiny new 4.7.3 logo.

State Oriented Programming

It has been a while since I visited the Web Site, and even longer since I added to the blog. Reason – I started a new contract in Belfast – Great place btw – but it has meant that my focus has been on getting things together there, as opposed to setting up the web site. However back now.

The first thing I had to do was a refresher course on my Dev env set-up, passwords and state of the whole web site when I had left. Second thing was to register and delete the fifty or so SPAM ‘likes’. They are an annoyance, but that is all. The final thing was decide what my priorities were.

  1. Improve the blog visuals. Made a couple of small improvements. Need to run through the WordPress templates to get a better layout and text font.
  2. Bring everything up to date version wise.
  3. Investigate (and better still solve) the layout problem with the Web pages on certain devices
  4. Begin populating the page on State Oriented Programming.

Development Environment

Added a few notes on this subject already interspaced in the other posts, but I thought it deserved a post in its own right.

This site is running on the beautifully little raspberry pi 3, which easily has the power to run LAMP plus WordPress. Not saying its the most responsive web site ever, but for the level of traffic I am anticipating it is fine, and power usage, even with the external drive is, at most 3A with idle consumption at next to nothing. However as a development env it isn’t up to the task. Even that maybe an unfair judgement, it is not one I have tested, however it does not have the tools that I am familiar with, and as I have the Pi set up headless, to have an effective dev env would mean adding mouse, keyboard, and at least two¬†good screens.

So I have now set-up a WAMP and am transferring the data over